Friday, March 07, 2008

Birthday gratitude

Just when you think there is no love left in the world, something like today happens.
It is my 47th birthday and I don't feel a day over 47. But seriously, I came to work today and was pretty farklempt from my first week back after having been off for well over a month. Just getting my sleep cycle back is a chore. It certainly won't be helped by having to lose an hour of sleep when this Sunday we "spring forward" our clocks. I thought about not coming in.
A wonderful co-worker of mine, Mr. Frescas, invited me to the Friday Christian club at lunchtime. I have been very open to attending the club but for some reason I got nervous today and told him I couldn't. I made up some type of excuse and he simply would not take no for an answer. I tried to avoid him, uh uh, no go. He kept inviting me, not giving in. I figured, wow this guy is either crazy or a real moron, a religious fundamentalist I'll bet.
I brought my student Rafael to Room #208, my old room with Mr. Hilton with my old students from two years ago. It was great to see them. There was a lot of food too. I worried when they were going to start pounding the pulpit though.
Instead, Mr. Frescas and all the aides came out with a beautiful birthday cake with my name on it and surprised me with happy birthday. I couldn't believe it. I never even thought such a thing was going to happen. I had the biggest smile on my face. Then I felt like such a heel. I thought this guy was trying to convert me, and all he wanted to do was show me how much I was loved, just like Christ would want. Heck, it IS what Christ wanted. The love of Christ was the one place in the entire school where I was treated with unconditional love and acceptance. How ironic, me, a Jew from the valley, would be openly and so warmly embraced by "the meek of the earth". I know Christ is with me, Jesus "Abba" is with me. Maranatha is home with all of us.
Happy Birthday to us all. Love is a feast.
Blessings,
Tony


1 Comments:

Blogger JamieB. said...

My God, what a joyous breath of fresh air. Tony Forkush at his best. It makes suffering through all your other spiritual, afro-headed nausea completely worthwhile. Happy Birthday to my friend Tony.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home