Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trauma, (or I can't fucking live like this any longer.)




While nothing really changed as far as the NL West race goes, losses like the one tonight have a traumatizing effect on me personally. I find them very hard to take and have to cognitively remind myself that it simply had no real bearing on the pennant race, one which realistically the Dodgers should win, especially now that the O'Dog may be down for the count again.
But beyond that, I simply find the stress of these close games and their horrifying outcomes more and more difficult to stomach. I mean, the world is stressful enough, right? Having to watch five hours the other night in St. Louis, with the Ludwick walk-off, and then this catastrophe tonight, it just starts to grind one down. Granted, it is just a game, but the adrenalin, bi-polar nature of these Dodger games is really, and I'm not kidding, having a deleterious impact on my life. I am going to hang in there, adversity can definitely make one heartier and more faithful, but is this worth ulcers and sleeplessness? I dare say no.
Although, this is nothing compared to our Brooklyn forefathers who had to endure the Crankies AND Bobby Thomson. Oy Vey.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Pascoe said...

I was sitting at Cashman Field keeping track of the scores and it seemed very positive that the Dodgers would be in first place. There didn't seem anyway that the Diamondbacks would catch up, and it seemed that the Dodgers would win after leading in the 10th.

Then of course one of those things that have been happening all year for the Dodgers happened again, they missed another chance to catch Arizona.

But, as far as stress Tony, you know as a Dodger fan this is very typical of a season. We, as Dodger fans go through this all of the time. We don't know if this is the year they will find another way to blow it, or play the underdog and win the west only to lose to the Yanks in the World Series, or if they will do one of those miracle kind of things like in '81 and '88 where they win the entire thing.

And one last note to all of you die hard Dodger fans. . . which I think just consist of Tony and me. . . when the count in two balls and two strike, and their are two on and two out and the score is two to two. . . what does Vin Scully say? No fair googling it, you must know it or it would be cheating. I know you know the answer to this.

Keep those cards and letters coming because after all, it's better to be coming than going.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Tony Forkush said...

Deuces wild, my friend, dueces wild.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Michael Pascoe said...

I knew you would know.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home