Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Addendum

On a more somber note, I am greatly shocked and disappointed in the passing of Proposition 8...I mean the defeat of the gay marriage proposal...I mean Proposition 8 being defeated by its passing...I mean...oh you get the point. There is no question that it will be challenged in court as a large percentage of folks who went to the polls thought they were voting FOR gay marriage. The terrible irony here is that African Americans and Latinos voted heavily for it (against...for...huh...?). I suggest that many gays are feeling significantly betrayed today after placing their efforts behind Obama. I mean dig it, the core constituency that elected Obama, done-did-in the dream of gays in California. Pretty ironic. I spoke to a gay fellow employee, who is older and active during the time of the Stonewall riots. He suggested that this is actually a good thing, as it will challenge a new generation of gay activism from a constituency that has been handed quite a lot and hasn't had to fight for it.

Also: John McCain's 55 million votes is absolutely staggering for a presidential loser. I am hearing that not only are these the most votes for a losing president in history, but that he had more votes than Nixon in '68, Clinton in '96 and Bush in
'04. Incredible! Certainly the percentage split of 52% to 46% is clear, but I suggest that it is not a popular mandate by any means. It is an electoral mandate, but there a hell of a lot of people pissed off today in America. Obama needs to tread pretty carefully and reach out to about half of America's voting base. It also shows me that this is still a pretty polarized country.

Still, the whole tone of our nation has transformed. That is nothing short of a miracle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Pascoe said...

I can’t say I blame the voters for their confusion. The weekend I was there, it took me awhile to realize what Proposition 8 was about. Even when I heard the results last night I was still a little confused. This sucks.

Actually, I believe that marriage should be between a man a woman, but hell that’s my opinion. Government should butt out when two people want to join in union. I had an epiphany about this earlier this year and I realized something; marriage is not a religious institution. When I got married, I first had to have it recognized by the courts. This was before I did the ceremony.

When you get a divorce, you don’t go to church. You go to court. The courts decide. God knows who has love in their heart and who doesn’t. And now that I think about it, besides the passage about Sodom and Gomorra, I don’t think there is any reference to gays in the Bible. And I can’t find anything that Christ has said about it either.

If gays want to get married, why should it matter to me? What we don’t need is more hate. No more discrimination. Live and let live. Let it be. Maybe the world can be as one. (Alright, so I stole from the Beatles. . . shoot me!)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Tony Forkush said...

I hear ya, Mikey. I just can't help thinking that Blacks and Latinos pushed this nasty ammendment through. It is the heighth of ignorance and intolerance. Yet they pushed through Obama.
So much in this country still doesn't make sense.
At least the chickens get to lounge about freely.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home