Monday, March 27, 2006

The tragedy of designation

Any time I identify myself by a designation, I dehumanize myself and others. I create separation where there is no separation. Once I place an adverb after "I am" (I am this or I am that), then I am placing untrue limits on my identity. When I define myself as such an adverb, I create division within myself and my neighbor. This is the ultimate cause of suffering and war on this planet. This is the cause of misery and untold pain on the planet. As soon as I begin to simply state "I AM" without the prison of the adverb, I planet the seeds of freedom by recognizing my simple beingness. Any designation is not who I really am. This is the only portal to recognition of my true identity. I can not say who I AM, except that I AM. But I can say who I AM NOT. In that dialogue I begin to disolve the Maya and feel my actual state of oneness with all that is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

"I yam what I yam. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man." The guy had monocular vision, elbows that looked like they could give milk, canned leafy greens between his teeth, and a girlfriend that doubled as his pipe cleaner... ('ahem'). Anyway, the little dude was totally happy, wouldn't you say? Even when he was getting his ass kicked, the certitude of "I yam what I yam, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man" was there, and so there were no agonizing questions, no doubts. He had limited himself by attaching the anchoring adverb (actually, it's a personal pronoun, but that would mess up my alliteration, so I take the artistic license), and staked out his microscopic claim in the infinite expanse of possibilities, and no angst could ever fuck with him.

And consider this: Dissolution of the self into the One means there's no more "I am" anyway, so the question of who you really are at the core of things, without these descriptors placed upon you by yourself because you exist in this Universe and acknowledge your relationship to it, becomes just plain moot.

"Designation" is not a tragedy. Limiting oneself, once one realizes that one is limited, makes complete sense. Life is finite, and terrifyingly short. The Creation is a playground, man, stretching past the horizon, and you'll never do it all, so pick out your Jungle Jim, stake your claim, and find joy in how well you hang upside down. Bliss needs no reason. Or purpose. And you get to keep your identity.

~Jungle Jim Jeff

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

PS: You also get to participate in creating your identity. You are responsible.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home